Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The start of my internship!



A start to an amazing journey....

It has already been a month since I moved from the comforts of my home, family, and job. I came here to Israel with what I believe is not only an amazing opportunity but one that is very close to my  heart...Interning at NATAL

Being raised by two very Zionist parents, with a father who has served in the first Lebanon war, and growing up with stories about my fathers experiences in the battle field, there is little question as to why I personally fell in love with NATAL, its team, and the work they are doing. 

NATAL's front entrance to the building.


For those of you who have still not heard about the organization, NATAL is a non-profit organization that provides different paths of guidance and support to the treatment of trauma as a result of war and terror in Israel. NATAL , it's staff, and volunteers dedicate their time to the treatment of victims and guide them to the path of recovery. Many of us watch the news and understand the on going threat that the citizens of Israel go through throughout their daily lives. However, we are not as aware of the aftermath and the long term affect these situations take on the innocent lives. This is where NATAL steps in,  it's mission is  to spread awareness among the society, because the whole of Israel should properly beware of  these issues. 



Beginning of the staircase,
 connecting the four very different floors. 
Coming into NATAL I had no idea what to expect, and of course what was expected of me. The building in itself took me by surprise. Located on the busy street of Ibn Gvirol the building hides itself between two restaurants. But as you open the doors you are welcomed to an oasis devoted to the support and comfort for victims of war and terror. The building is made up of four floors, with a beautiful garden on the roof. What is so unique about this building is that each floor serves a different purpose and is designed to accomplish NATAL's goals with different approaches that fits their patients needs. 

There is a single staircases that connects these different worlds, at the bottom of the building you can find yourself rooms where patients are able to go and participate in different kids of therapeutic social activities such as art, music, and cooking. There is another room known as the hot line room, where many people work with their own phones and computers aiding those patients who have a hard time stepping out of their home. The second floor, is dedicated to the international department, and houses people with different tasks. As you walk up to the next floor you are lead to the floor that is dedicated to clinical issues, and classrooms for those who wish to learn more about the study of trauma through the trauma course run by NATAL. And at the very top is a beautiful garden overlooking the busy city of Tel Aviv. I am thrilled to start my internship here and get to know each floor in more depth. 

I joined NATAL in a very exciting and busy time with many projects underway and just being honored at AIPAC. Their experience in AIPAC  was amazing to hear about especially because I myself have been to AIPAC and experienced the enormity first hand. During the AIPAC conference a short film was presented that explained what NATAL is and their goal, through one man’s experience. This was followed by a very unique speaker and band; Yariv Peled from Israeli rock band "9 Lives" performed a moving song at the gala event, and shared his personal experiences of dealing with trauma as a result of his combat service in the IDF. The band members themselves received group treatment from NATAL's mental health professionals and are very open in public about the fact that they too suffer from PTSD. This was a very moving to watch because I was able to see how NATAL's projects and involvement can change the lives of their patients. 


Yariv Peled  gives a moving performance
during the AIPAC conference.
Follow this link to watch!

With this blog I will share my experiences here and the amazing mission that this sanctuary for victims of war and terror has to offer. Throughout my time here I will go more into detail with the projects that NATAL is involved in, and the different approaches they take in order to assist their patients. I invite you all to explore and deepen your knowledge about NATAL and its mission, and I hope to inspire many of you to become part of my journey. 

1 comment:

  1. ...and herein begins the adventure...but very likely, you were already on an adventure, and this is where discovery truly begins...I am so excited about what you will discover...in fact, I am already starting to see it, and my guess is, you are, too! I miss you...be safe...Much love to you always, your Auntie E...

    ReplyDelete